I have flown over two million miles, and I have witnessed so many weird, dumb, and rude things while flying. But I have also witnessed many good and noble things. I recently saw a person give up his seat to a soldier who was on standby. The soldier was returning from Afghanistan and had not seen his family in over a year.
So with the perspective of the good, the bad, and the ugly, I have devised my own ten commandments for flying. Some are positive and some are, well, not.
- Thou shall be kind to your fellow passengers. Everyone has struggles and problems. A kind word can make a world of difference.
- Thou shall not talk loudly on your cell phone during those times you are permitted to talk. We are glad you love your spouse and that the burger was great, but that’s not for the world to know.
- Thou shall help elderly passengers and others who need assistance. Traveling for many is a big physical burden. Help lighten their burden.
- Thou shall not wear heavy perfume or cologne. If the passenger next to you is gagging, you know you overdid it.
- Thou shall be kind to young moms who have crying children. These moms are stressed and don’t need your indignation to stress them further.
- Thou shall not eat smelly foods on the plane. Not only do the foods smell, flatulence typically follows.
- Thou shall make certain your carry-on luggage fits in the overhead bins. We may be delayed as the flight attendants take your luggage and check it in.
- Thou shall not take off your shoes during the flight. You may think it’s comfortable, but the rest of the passengers will be tempted to find the nearest midair exit.
- Thou shall fly only when you’re healthy. Otherwise the recycled air will deliver your influenza germs to all the passengers.
- Thou shall not make dumb comments that include words like "bomb," "gun," "hijack," or "terrorist." If thou does make those dumb comments, be prepared to spend time with a lot of new friends in confined quarters.
So what do you think of my ten commandments? What would you change? What would you add?
FREE Download: 7 Warning Signs Your Church Staff Is In Trouble
Sign up to receive posts like this one delivered to your inbox daily and get this FREE download from Vanderbloemen Search Group, experts in church leadership, team building, and church staffing.