That’s the first word that comes to my mind when I see the early reaction to I Am a Church Member.
Perhaps better words would be “thank you” and “to God be the glory.”
I am both overwhelmed and humbled by the early response to my book. Current trajectory indicates that it will soon surpass my previous bestseller, Simple Church.
But enough about my sales and me. I am already getting questions about how to use this book most effectively. Of course, many have already read the brief tome on their own. But is there a context in the church that is effective for studying this book? Absolutely!
I actually wrote this book with a group context in mind. That is why I put study questions at the end of each chapter.
For now, I have five key ways to use I Am a Church Member in your congregation. The good news is that I know of different churches already using these five approaches.
- New members’ class. There is no better time to set attitudinal expectations about church membership than on the front end. I am gratified to hear of hundreds of churches already making this move.
- Small group study. There are six chapters and an introduction in the book. With the study questions at the end of each chapter, it is perfectly suited for a multi-week study.
- Gifts for guests. Two churches let me know that they will be giving every first-time guest one of these books. They told me that it helps to share the membership philosophy as soon as possible.
- Leadership groups in the church. I am encouraged to hear about elders, deacons, church staff, and others coming together to study the book. One pastor sent me a tweet that said his leadership group made a decision to scrap and reinstitute their membership process after studying the book.
- All church members. I have been especially gratified to hear of churches that are providing the book to every church member. One pastor told me that if the book has an impact on just 10 percent of those who receive it, the church could see its greatest days ever. That statement was really encouraging.
I Am a Church Member provides a short yet poignant description of the right and biblical attitude of church members. It can be read in one or two hours, or it can be studied over several weeks.
I really owe a great deal of appreciation to you readers. The book began as a blogpost, but your responses to it led me to put it in book form. I believe I have some of the sharpest people in the world reading this blog. I pray that, in some way, this book will help you and your churches. It’s the least I can do for you.
Get these posts delivered to your inbox daily
Subscribe today and receive my free downloadable resource on the minister's salary!