I returned to the Twitterverse to find out why church members love their pastors. I must admit that this exercise was very gratifying. In the somewhat cynical and critical world in which we live, the messages I received gave me great hope.
As I share in any Twitter poll, my approach is neither precise nor scientific. It is, however, fun and a bit informative.
Before you jump down and read the results of my survey, allow me to make some observations from this poll and other information I have gleaned. I delineate those observations into three points.
- Church members overwhelmingly love their pastors. It was amazing to see both the quickness and the volume of responses to my simple question. Church members were eager to express their love for their pastors.
- Church members often don’t express their love for their pastors. Church members are more likely not to say anything about their pastors than express their love for them. But if they are specifically asked, they respond with overwhelming love.
- The critics and naysayers often drown out those who love their pastors. The negative people in the church tend to be loud but in the distinct minority. As a consequence, pastors often feel like the naysayers represent the majority. Most of the time, the vast majority of the members are very positive about their pastors, but they are quiet as well.
The response to my poll came in fast and furious. You could sense the strong love these church members have for their pastors. Why do you love your pastor? Here are the top seven responses, listed in order of frequency.
- Our pastor loves us and others. A strong number one response, church members see the love that overflows from their pastor.
- Our pastor preaches the Word and spends time studying the Word. Though stated in a number of ways, the respondents are grateful for the preaching and teaching ministry of their pastors.
- Our pastor demonstrates love for his spouse and children. The members love their pastor because of the obvious priority of family demonstrated day after day.
- Our pastor has a servant heart. I heard countless stories about the sacrificial and servant-like actions of pastors. Church members do notice.
- Our pastor is humble and transparent. Many of the characteristics begin to sound like the traits of Christ. That’s a good thing!
- Our pastor shares Christ with others. The evangelistic lifestyle and words of the pastors did not go unnoticed by the church members.
- Our pastor is passionate about ministry. The words “passionate” and “passion” came up so many times, I had to include it as its own category.
Reasons for Encouragement and Hope
Many pastors are worn out and discouraged. I hope you pastors know that the critics and the naysayers in your church are in the minority. I hope you know that most of your congregation admires you and loves you. I hope these words from church members around the nation will be a source of encouragement and hope for you.
So, how do you pastors feel about these reasons you are loved? And what other reasons can you church members have to express your love for your pastors?
Get these posts delivered to your inbox daily
Subscribe today and receive this FREE church facility audit!