Seven-Factors-That-Are-Hindering-Evangelism-in-Churches

There is no shortage of pundits who are providing to us the gloomy and dismal state of American congregations, and, indeed, of many churches around the world. For sure, I am among the guilty. While personal evangelism is ultimately a heart issue between Christians and God, we do see ways this disobedience to the Great Commission is manifesting itself.

Despite all the negative information you have heard from me, I remain an obnoxious optimist about local congregations. One of the reasons I am so optimistic is that many of us are no longer ignoring the problems. One of the early steps to church revitalization is a willingness to “look in the mirror.”

With that in mind, in this article I try to help church leaders look in the mirror if their churches are not evangelistic. And here are seven factors that leaders may see when they get that honest perspective.

1. There is no priority of evangelism. I know. That sounds too self-evident. But churches that do not make evangelism a high priority are really making it no priority at all.
  2. Many laypersons believe that evangelism is what we pay the pastors and staff to do. Such a perspective is first unbiblical and, second, unproductive. Evangelistic churches always have enthusiastically evangelistic laypersons.
  3. Many churches have an excuse mentality. So pastors blame it on the laity. The laity blame it on the pastor. And both blame it on culture, the denomination, or some other external scapegoat.
  4. Too many church members do not connect prayer with evangelism. Many members are pretty good at praying for those who have physical needs. But many are woefully lacking in praying for those who have the greatest need: a personal relationship with Jesus Christ.
  5. Too many Christians fail to be compassionate and Christ-like to others. Evangelism always ultimately includes a clear articulation of the gospel. But too many Christians never get that opportunity to share the gospel, because they fail to show Christ in their actions and compassion.
  6. Most church ministries are not intentionally evangelistic. The church should always seek to make certain any and all ministries include intentional efforts to share the gospel.
  7. Some church members are concerned that new Christians will change their church too much. I’m serious. I’ve heard that line many times. When I was a pastor, I was chastised by a church member who told me I was leading too many people to Christ. They were, she said, changing her church too rapidly.

These are seven of the key factors that are hindering evangelism in churches, at least from a symptomatic perspective.

What would you add to this conversation?

Does Your Church Need to Go to the Next Level? Is Your Church Sick or Dying?

Enter your name and email address below to find out more about my new video series and receive a FREE eBook: 114 Things You Need to Know About Revitalizing Churches.

Comments

1. Doug says

I keep seeing the lists of all the things the church and pastors are not doing right. Let’s see some list of what we are doing well and the areas where the church is doing good!

• Mike Hurst says

Doug, if you had cancer wouldn’t you want to know? If we need to pat each other on the back and emphasize only the warm fuzzies, where do we learn? There are obvious issues in our congregations, and thank God for Thom bringing them into the light.

These are very important factors! I agree with your observations. I would expand on the prayer factor. It is not only praying for people to come to Christ, it is the Christian praying until his heart’s passion reflects God’s heart. A statement from “The Valley of Vision” devotional has gripped my heart lately: “In prayer all things here below vanish, and nothing seems important but holiness of heart and the salvation of others.”

The remaining six factors are spot on and call me to repentance! The fuel for change, I believe, must flow from our posture in prayer.

Thanks for the reminders!

Many congregations fail to be engaged and relevant to their mission field. This would not be acceptable with missionaries we send to foreign fields but seems to be ok here at home.

• Mark says

One of the biggest mission fields are universities. However, this can be a very difficult group to work with because you will have diverse opinions and will be asked some difficult questions. Students are smarter than many people think they are.

4. Mark says

I concur with numbers 5 and 7. Many people do not understand how actions can speak louder than words. Cliques in churches are almost impossible to break. I have seen it when long time church members did not like new people coming in. It is why a lot of churches’ evangelism efforts, like on college campuses, keep the students separate from the rest congregation most of the time. The ones that tried to integrate the two generally had troubles doing so.

As I have heard and read both Chuck Lawless and you say, evangelistic churches are led by evangelistic pastors. If I am not sharing the Gospel outside the pulpit, it is unlikely those that sit under my preaching will. Several years ago, you shared a statistic from your research, 48% of SBC pastors had not shared their faith outside the pulpit in the last 3 months (Am I correctly quoting you? If so, any updates?).
    In the SBC alone, if, this year, every pastor would lead one more person to Christ than they did last year and see that person baptized into their fellowship, we would see baptisms increase 16% in the SBC.
    As you point out, not everyone in every church will be excited about their pastor’s new heart for evangelism. Some might even lose their job. But, there are worse things in the world than being fired for being too evangelistic.

6. Russ says

At first #7 seems unbelievable, but I had a man in my SS class few yrs ago who expressed that same sentiment when we were trying to start a new small group initiative to reach the neighborhood. Incredible. He wanted his church left alone.

7. Ricky Ray says

Dr. Rainer, you taught me that as a pastor if I would lead one person to Christ a month that would be 12 a year. I took that “challenge” to heart and have passed it on to my leadership. It has affected our entire congregation. I think the whole list can be summed up by saying, Evangelism is Personal. That’s what I got out of your teaching and this list. When it is not personal, then these factors do indeed hinder us. Thank you for the insight.

8. Donny says

Great observations, Thom. I would add that many see evangelism as an end in itself rather than part of the discipleship process. If we’re essentially leading people to say a prayer and be baptized so our churches can “grow,” then we have missed Jesus’ command to make disciple-making disciples. Evangelism and discipleship are inseparable.

Outstanding post Thom! After years of baptism and attendance declines, evangelism must be the priority of local churches. When Evangelist Bailey Smith was at our church last Fall, his message to plateaued and declining churches was to “Stop.” Everything you’re doing isn’t working, so you should change everything and make sure the Gospel is being shared at every event/program/service/ministry of the church. Something is wrong when you attend a church event and never hear that Jesus saves.

Dr. Rainer, I want to thank you so much for all of the great articles.

This is a power article that I very much what I needed! I understand that everything rises and falls on leadership and unless I completely buy into the idea of personal evangelism my church will never have an example to flow!

I would love to interview you on this and other leadership topics and share the audio with the Pastor network I overseer. Please let me know if this is possible!

I think any discussion about why churches aren’t doing evangelism needs to include “hyper” Calvinism. I can show you statistically how as more and more Churches embrace this theology, evangelism goes down. It’s the predestined elephant in the room.

• Matt Meadows says

The difficulty with the situation you are describing is how people define “hypercalvinism”, because it’s a fluid term that nobody can nail down. “Hypercalvinist” is ususally someone slightly more Calvinistic than you are, and thus it’s a term that just becomes pejorative rather than helpful.

I will say that, speaking as a non-Calvinist who has deep respect and agreement with Reformed theology in general, I have not found Calvinism to be a hindrance to evangelism in the least. A great number of our greatest missionaries in world history have been 5-point Calvinists (Adoniram Judson, William Carey, Charles Spurgeon, just to name a few). Calvinism has been a part of the Baptist tradition ever since the first people sprung up who called themselves Baptists— a great many of them were very reformed in their soteriology. They weren’t anti-evangelism.

I personally know a HUGE number of Calvinists. None of them deny evangelism. Many of them are gifted evangelists.

I would encourage you to find something more specific than “hypercalvinism” to criticize, because generally speaking, most people think that all Calvinists who embrace predestination to be “hypercalvinists”. The real issue here is whether people deny that the Great Commission applies to all believers at all times (I believe it does, rather firmly).

Personally, I think religion, any religion, should keep its evangelism limited. More to the point, I think religion, at it’s most, should be a deeply personal, private affair. The world is doing much better now that the window of ignorance in the common man is shrinking and knowledge is freely obtained through myriad sources. Religion is outdated; it is not a good teaching tool, it’s lessons are based on myth, not fact and are inaccurate (sky as an upturned bowl, earth is flat and only 6.5k years old, etc). Religion isn’t necessary for building a good moral system (actually, evolutionary biology, filial influences, social zeitgeist and cultural norms determine morality. The bible says you can sell your daughter into slavery. Consider that). Religion is no longer necessary for emotional support and guidance (with families diversifying and with the explosion of the internet, many people are finding the dusty words of a two-thousand year old book to be less comforting in times of distress than the physical touch of another person or the kind words of a stranger). Religion is no longer the only source of charitable actions (Foundation Beyond Belief, Earthward, Inc, Brony Thank You Fund, Fellowship of Freethought, International Humanist and Ethical Union, and many more are raising money, awareness, and neighborhood care, and without the stigma of religion).

Frankly, we are moving beyond religion, as individuals, as a culture, as a civilization. Religion explained away the unexplainable, but now god is being forced into smaller and smaller pockets of ignorance, and screaming ‘WE NEED TO EVANGELIZE MORE’ is more of an act of desperation than anything. We don’t need more Christians. We don’t need more zealots of any religious persuasion. We need more humanists. We need more scientists. We need more thinkers, helpers, and friends. Religion, however, has stifled scientific growth, intellectual exploration, social equality and tolerance for over a millenia. It’s time religion, and yes evangelizing, faded to the realm of myth.

Nekko: Out of fairness, I am approving your comment. But this is a Christian site. Most of the readers truly believe Jesus is the only way of salvation. But I am asking the other readers not to engage in a debate with you. A blog is a poor forum to do so, and it distracts from the conversation we are having. I wish you no malice. And though I have little doubt you would question the efficacy of my actions, I am truly praying for you right now.

• Mark says

Dr. Rainer, I am glad you let his comment post. People need to read the argument that needs to be countered. If you do not understand the other side you can’t really evangelize because you don’t what needs to be countered. When St. Paul went to Athens he paid attention to the religiosity of the city before proceeding to teach the people about an unknown god to whom they even had an idol. Also, Nekko is telling you about non-religious charities that allow anyone to contribute time, effort, and money. He is also telling you not to stifle (future) Christian scientists, thinkers, helpers, and friends. This is a good learning experience. Everything he has said would make for many great blog posts with counter arguments.

To all: Power is out at my house and my iPhone is about dead. If power is not restored shortly, I will have no way to post comments. I will certainly get them posted once power is back. So don’t hesitate to add your thoughts.

Is not part (or in my book the majority) of the problem a misunderstanding of evangelism, discipleship and the Great Commission? In my opinion, saying that a lack of “evangelism” is disobedience to the Great Commission is a misunderstanding of the Mt 28. The Great Commission is not an evangelism text, it is a discipleship text. We are called to make disciples. I believe we have a misguided, linear view of evangelism, conversion and discipleship. I believe a better way of viewing the “process” is to see discipleship (both pre conversion and post conversion) as any time we point people to Jesus through our words and actions. We should all be in the process of being discipled by the good news of the Kingdom. As we are discipling others in the ways of Jesus evangelism will no doubt take place, but it will take place in the midst of a discipling relationship, rather than in an artificial, unnatural manner that is characteristic of most views of evangelism.

• Steve Karrick says

I agree with your comment “We should all be in the process of being descipled by the good news of The Kingdom.”

14. Darin says

I think one of the biggest reasons is that the church has no confidence that when the gospel is shared, people will believe. This lack of trust that God will water the seeds planted is devestating. We think the problem lies in our presentation or our methodology, but Salvation is of the Lord! We need only share, He does the rest. Unbelief isn’t a sign of failure, but a sign that what scripture says is true: to the Jews a stumbling block, to the gentiles, foolishness.

15. Steve Karrick says

We have a mentality in our churches that wants to look at improving ourselves (pride), rather than us listening to God and improving in the areas that are for our calling. The “renewing” of our minds from Romans 12:2 is about a transformation of ourselves for the work/life God has prepared for us. But we are worried about fitting into cliques, that maybe are not where God wants us to be. The problem I have seen is “brothers” and “sisters” ignoring others, this is devastating to the church. Ministries crumble and most of the time they don’t even get off the ground. This is a stumbling block, not only fir those that ignore but the one being ignored allowing that to affect them and their ministry. We are supposed to edify one another, not the opposite. Worldly attitudes and ways have made their way into the Church……how???
    If we do not love one another we are doomed to continue what is taking place in our churches NOW. We allow things into our Churches that are not supposed to be. We do not call each other out, like Paul did Peter, we candy coat the Word and abandon the Church God has prepares for us. Scripture is filled with instruction on how we should treat and deal with one another.
    None of us has “arrived” but we do one another a disservice when we are not honest and do not call one another out on things. Maybe….just maybe God is leading someone to say something to me for the purpose of “waking” (Romans 13:11) and a renewing taking place. We need to: trust God when He speaks to us, rely on our Father, the power in Christ and the leading of the Holy Spirit to lead and guide us and love one another.

Romans 6:17. But God be thanked, that he were the servants of sin, but he have obeyed from the heart that form of doctrine which was delivered you.

16. Matt Meadows says

If I could also add to this conversation, there is one reason larger than the ones above that I can only offer out of observation and conviction of someone with seminary training but not an expert in such things.

I fear that a great many Southern Baptist churches have eviscerated the significance and practices of what it means to be a Christian, and thus the life of the local church is anemic. The symptom is that we tend to abandon the rich practices given by Scriptural precedence/command, and also those given to us by an extraordinarily rich Christian tradition.

So very many churches today center their life mostly around the sermon, the passing of the collection plate, and singing 7 or 8 songs. The sermon may be topical or expositional, but generally centers around “how God can help you in your life”. The songs are basically about how much we love God and what we can do for Him. But in the end, if this is mostly all we do, it’s simply man-centered. Thus, we’ve abandoned the actual transcendence of the liturgy and are not focusing on knowing God and worshipping Him based specifically on that knowledge. In other words, the gathered worship service seems meant to be a “fillin’ station” to get you through the rest of the week (I’ve heard this preached over and over). I’m not terribly surprised that people generally have difficulty in inviting people to come be a part of this, especially since most modern people are so privatized that they seem to be doing just fine without church that they don’t need this “fillin’ station”.

I think if we were to put the situation right-side up, we’d see that there is a perspective on church life that is grounded both in Scripture and Church history (in word, and in 2000 years of experience) that proclaims a different message than most Southern Baptist churches I’ve encountered. There have been many Baptists in history who have rightfully found their identity as the Covenant People of God (the Bride of Christ, the Church, the Elect, however you want to frame it) and thus, as the Covenant People, we are not called to supplement our lives with God. Rather we are called to place our full identity into being part of Christ’s Church, submitting every single aspect of our life to the service of this Covenant family (whether we are witness to someone, or simply cleaning our bathroom as an act of stewardship). Scripture gives us the clear precedence for the gathered worship to contain proclamation of the Word (expositional preaching), public reading of the Scriptures (and I don’t mean two or three emotional sounded inspirational verses), singing of Psalms (from the Bible) and hymns and spiritual songs (stuff we, the Church, have written), and the serving of the Lord’s Supper, as well as giving of offerings for the work of the Gospel. Historically speaking, the Church has found the recitation of the Creeds and various catechisms to be very helpful (and I agree). This is what we do (or, should be doing). It’s part of our identity as God’s Covenant People. We not only find our identity in these practices, but we learn immense amounts of knowledge of God via these practices, because they are all pedagogical in nature. They are not rooted in experience, they are rooted in truth. Experience may be the leaves on the tree, but the root is in the truth these practices proclaim.

This Biblical/Historical perspective I think more fully brings the Church into the worship and glory of the Lord, and it is here that she finds so much of the identity that she once had, and has lost in the name of pragmatism and experientialism.

Note that I’m not saying we do these things for the sake of doing these things. I’m saying we do these things because those are what the Scriptures give us the precedence for, and it’s what the Church has historically done as God’s Covenant People. I’m sure there are things we can add to these that are very good for the liturgy, but we should definitely not be taking away from them. If they are done weekly as an empty ritual, that is a problem with the person doing these as empty rituals. It’s not a problem with the liturgy itself.

If we had such perspective, and gave the life in our churches such richness in meaning, my suspicion is that the members of the Church would be far more likely and willing to invite the outside world to become a believer, become a member of the Church, and participate as one of God’s Covenant People, worshiping in Spirit and Truth, in the richness of the Biblical and historical tradition.

I suppose in a nutshell, I’m suggesting that evangelism is lacking in the Southern Baptist Convention because so very many of our churches just simply lack the richness of what it means to be a member of God’s Church. For many, it simply means “hear a sermon, sing some songs, put money in the collection plate, and maybe get energy to finish off the week”.

• Benjamin Pennington says

Wow, Matt! You are speaking my language. I wish I had more time to reread and think through everything you said to reply more fully.

I have been spending a lot of time in prayer and contemplation on this issue, especially looking at myself first. I am coming to the conclusion that even before No.1 on the list is the fact that we don’t know what our purpose as a church is any longer. I really believe that is lost in so many congregations. Until leadership understands profoundly who and what the Church is, and until we begin to “lay aside every weight and the sin that so easily ensnares us,” I’m not sure we are going to ignite the same Christ-exalting desire for evangelism in the heart of our people.

• Matt Meadows says

I can think a further reason that I didn’t mention, but perhaps here in a quick reply I can…..

We’ve tried, and tried, and tried, and tried to beg people in the pews to become evangelists. The same sort of evangelists. Cookie cutter style. With no regard whatsoever to people’s gifting. People aren’t told to be hospitable to those around them (despite the gift of hospitality running wonderfully rampant among our churches, it’s one of our best characteristics). People aren’t told to be merciful to the broken, despite the gift of mercy. People aren’t told to be generous with those who have lost everything, despite the gift of giving/generosity being common in our churches.

The Holy Spirit has gifted so very many of our members with incredible gifts, many of which are displayed in plain sight every week, just simply by the nature of how these saints behave.

And then we’re told that we should all become the same sort of evangelist, despite the fact that evangelism is one of the spiritual gifts. Yes, all believers should witness (verbally share the Gospel explicitly). But our teaching and focus on evangelism has tried in vain to produce a congregation of people that seem to be gifted only in evangelism, as if this is a good idea (it’s not, and the Holy Spirit hasn’t done this, and probably isn’t going to).

Evangelism isn’t so much one of my gifts, but I don’t let it stop me from witnessing. But neither do I let my subdued amount of evangelism make me feel like less of a Christian, because I am intentionally doing the things I am gifted for.

• john mushenhouse says

Not one of your gifts?????? Then why are you commanded by Jesus to do it.

I guess it’s just not your ministry and somebody else will do it.

It is disobedience not to and disobedience is sin.

• john mushenhouse says

Have you ever thought about leaving the safety of the church and witnessing to a stranger. Maybe a clerk in a store etc.

Here is an icebreaker which I have used for years and it always get the topic on Jesus.

Walk up to someone and ask them “What do you think about Jesus”.

It always starts dialog

Here is a reason I think that is not listed
    Pastors do not really preach evangelism it or do it. Many in the congregation yearn to be taught evangelism -real witnessing and not faith sharing by osmosis.
    My example? Revivals. “First big-steeple” churches do not have them.
    Ask why and listen to the trite reasons how you will be told they do not work. In response ask how revival services have impacted Christianity historically and list people you know who came to saving faith after revivals. Despite the great success of revivals you will be talked down as a rube for even suggesting such a ridiculous thing in this day despite the historical fact of the great harvest and movements started by such services.

• jonathon says

Could you hold a revival at Big Steeple Church, and have as many as a quarter of the seats of occupied by non-Christians?

Skip that. Could it hold a revival, and have anybody come?
      Unfortunately, I’ve read several accounts of revivals where the only person that showed up was the preacher.

• Matt Meadows says

Revival meetings certainly have had their place in history, but I can’t say that I see a lack of revival meetings as a reason for a decline in evangelism. The early Church basically overtook the entire Roman Empire in the first few hundred years of her existence, and we have no record (either in the New Testament or in the annals of history) that tell us of anything called, or resembling, “revival meetings”, despite the incredible growth she saw.

I do not know who would show at an unsupported apathetic so called evangelistic church for a revival. Leadership starts from the pulpit. It is never tried you will not know.. Never up to bat you never get a hit. At the worst you will be derided by some theological snobs that do not evangelize.
        History versus experts of today? I will go with will go with Wesley,Whitfield,Graham and others. I do not think they thought they were sinning by preaching on days other than Sunday whether they call it a revival, crusade or Bible conference or something else.
        My son was saved at a poorly attended revival. I hope that makes his salvation valid still:)
        The leader of my ministry was saved at a revival. I was saved at one of the early church youth camps that was like a revival even though despite being an already baptized member of a Southern Baptist church. My wife was saved by listening to Billy Graham on TV. I just can not think why any body-especially anyone from a church benefiting from the First or Second Great Awakening could believe anything old could help are experts of today.
        By “the foolishness of preaching” a revival just just might work – even if “experts” grimace. Even if it is old fashioned and has centurys of success revival preaching can be excused if our experts who have not been doing it the last few decades do not believe it. We can not say “We don’t do it and it does not work when we don’t do it.”

• Matt Meadows says

I understand what you’re saying, but please do not think that I implied that revival meetings are bad. I do think they aren’t all that useful in today’s culture, and I don’t see them at all as the missing link in our evangelism…….. but I never implied that there was anything wrong with offering them.

The main thing I’m trying to point out here isn’t the efficacy of revivals. It’s the necessity of them. The Scriptures nor Church history dictate that these are necessary for widespread evangelism, although I know they are quite capable of that.

A few posts above I lamented how we take the efficacy of something and allow that to give something priority. I can’t say that revival meetings are a critical part of the life of a church/denomination, especially when it’s not dictated by Scripture, when these very same churches have give up much of their identity as God’s Covenant People by forsaking many the very weekly practices God gave us to learn about Him corporately (Lord’s Supper, singing of Psalms, public reading of Scripture, and preaching of the Word). These alone are extremely evangelistic, to say nothing of the wisdom and encouragement imparted to the participants for the purpose of the Great Commission.

All good. I appreciate your remarks. I was overstating points. I know many seminarians the past few years are concerned with Finneyism manipulation. We know true revival is sent from above. Of you have preaching during the week where am from you can name it what you want it will still be called a revival. Urban Camp Meeting- a Bible Conference with a nice name or revival I think it is an obvious piece left out. When the pastor leads prayer and training for months – as well as leads his people to share an event I have seen results. To me a church supported revival is like a basketball guard who averages 20. Someone thinks we need to go another way ignoring the obvious. the dude is averaging 20.
            Lift Jesus Up!
            Fletcher

i heard one pastor sum it up well.There indeed are many reasons and excuses we have for not engaging others with the gospel,but the main reason would be our lack of confidence in the gospel.

19. Samuel Bright says

Every fellowship needs to either have one of the five gifted equippers, or be connected to an Apostolic Center that can have that input. Read the Book! Eph. 4 lists the five-fold ministry we all need , if we are to mature as a Body. If you are not familiar with the Apostolic Center concept, I recommend the book “Apostolic Centers: Shifting the Church, Transforming the World” by Alain Caron. Pastors are needed, but the other 4 equippers are needed — according to the apostle Paul.

20. Hal says

A lady at our church called me one day and complained that we were preaching too much on the topic of sin and repentance. She said it was making people too uncomfortable and people might leave as a result. Actually, we had just began preaching on the subject because the former pastor almost never did.
    I responded by asking the lady if she believed the church should be preaching the gospel of Jesus Christ and she responded with….”Well of Course…..That’s the purpose of the church”.
    I then followed up by asking her…..” Then how do we preach the Gospel of Jesus Christ without mentioning the topics of sin and repentance?……
    Preaching Jesus without preaching sin and repentance is like preaching half the gospel.
    However, this is exactly what many churches do by preaching the “Feel-Good” gospel. They reduce our Savior to the level of Santa Clause and all the benefits of knowing him, but talk nothing of the cost of that salvation and what is required of the believer.
    She didn’t have much else to add.

• David says

This really strikes a cord with me. A lack of emphasis on our, to put it bluntly, evil nature reduces the greatness of the Cross. I remember sitting in a Secret Church meeting about the Cross of Christ, delivered by Pastor David Platt. His special emphasis on the unworthiness of mankind made the sacrifice so much more powerful to me than ever before.

People are afraid to look in the mirror and see total depravity, but that is part of why Christ died. We can look in that mirror now and say that Jesus has justified us before God and He is making all things new. One day we will see his invisible face, and it will be all the more glorious because we didn’t do anything to deserve it.

21. Craig Giddens says

Churches that have a high view of the Bible and consistently focus on the preaching and teaching of scripture tend be a more evangelistic body.

22. Don McCutcheon says

What you have revealed resonates with what I am seeing in churches where I have taught. I also have seen a number of these churches implement (James 1:21-22) what you and Chuck Lawless champion. These implementing churches have significantly increased in evangelistic and discipleship effectiveness. Thank you both for the impact you have had for the Kingdom, in my life and ministry and the churches and leaders who are obeying the Great Commission!

23. john mushenhouse says

People talk about what they love. They lost their first love if they were even saved at all. They just go to church and are cultural “Christians”. They are luke warm at best and unsaved at worse. The SBC should start in their own house, but who will start.

They have too much pride. If they told someone about Jesus, they will be seen as a nut or a fanatic. They are way too dignified for that.

They think that telling others about Jesus will just turn them off. HINT HINT TO THE CHURCHGOERS–THE UNSAVED ARE ALREADY TURNED OFF.

They need to repent of their sin.

They need to quit playing church and become Christian.

SBC culture doesn’t do things like that. They go to church and are better people than others.

They are unlearned and untaught. HINT HINT START READING THE BIBLE AND YOU WILL LEARN AND BE TAUGHT.

They are too involved reading blogs and pontificating on their so called solutions instead of actually witnessing

They could care less

One more thing. Why the rush. At next year’s conference they will focus on something else and this witnessing will soon be forgotten, if it has not already been save for a few company men like Thom. Quickly – what was the focus of last year’s meeting or the year before.

24. justin says

I live in a small town and am in leadership in one of the churches. The other church in town is next door to me and is pastored by a woman. It is dying or dead. I would love to help them and pray for them every day. I don’t really know how to help besides praying. I feel God is calling me to teaching as well. I hold the night service at my church.

25. Chip says

Dr. Rainer,
    What book(s) would you recommend for leading a rural church in the area of evangelism and leadership development?

Chip: Try two of my books: Eating the Elephant and Surprising Insights from the Unchurched. The first book is all about leadership in established churches. The second half of Surprising Insights is all leadership.