Friday Is for Freebies: Autopsy of a Deceased Church

9781433683923This month, my giveaways are featuring my new book, Autopsy of a Deceased Church.

For more than twenty-five years, I’ve helped churches grow, reverse the trends of decline, and autopsied those that have died. From my experiences, I have discovered twelve consistent themes among those churches that have died. Yet, it’s not gloom and doom because from those twelve themes, lessons on how to keep your church alive have emerged.

Whether your church is vibrant or dying, whether you are a pastor or a church member, Autopsy of a Deceased Church will walk you through the radical paths necessary to keep your church alive to the glory of God and advancement of Christ’s Kingdom.

Also included is the black, genuine leather version of the HCSB Study Bible, a comprehensive, easy to read, and easy to use Bible, with features and formats specifically designed to enhance your Bible study experience. You can also go to and dive right in for a complete digital experience.

This Bible has a retail price of $79.99 and features 15,000 study notes, 290 Hebrew and Greek word studies, 66 highly detailed book introductions, 62 maps, 27 topical articles, 20 charts, and 18 illustrations, all focusing on the most important topics and questions in Bible study.

Enter this week’s Friday Is for Freebies giveaway

To enter this week’s giveaway, fill out the form below. Entries will be closed at midnight Saturday night. We will contact the winner via email on Monday morning. Entrants may receive occasional promotional emails from
RSS and email subscribers should click through to the website to enter.

After submitting your entry, you will be directed back to the homepage. By entering, you acknowledge and accept the terms of the promotion.


  1. Cheryl Miller says

    I am extremely interested in this book. My husband and I just went through an example of a dying church. I would love to know all the pitfalls to look for. We are at a thriving church right now even though I truly loved the few we left behind. It appeared that everyone was basically walking around like they enjoyed being without life. No Bible study! No Church/Sunday school! No joy! It was so sad. I would love to receive this book.

    I already have, ” I AM A CHURCH MEMBER.” I am purchasing The Millennials” next week. My son is part of that generation. I just don’t understand if he is reacting due to the environment of the church we left or is he reacting because of his generation is so different than ours.

  2. Donn says

    I ask my pastor if I could borrow it Wednesday and I could not put it down. When I moved back to NC I decided to attend my father in laws church. He had had a stroke and needed transportation to church. So I gave him a ride and became a member. However, this church had all the symptoms mention in the book. I tried so hard to take the ministry to the community so that the church would grow. But there was so much resistance and concern of what type of people would be sitting in the pew next to their children. I use to have long discussions with my good friend how the church seemed like a club that served only the members. Now that I have read “I am a Church Member” and “Autopsy of a Deceased Church” I fully have a deeper understanding. I pray for that church now that they will change from being inward to becoming a beacon of the community. I am also thankful The Lord has lead me to the church I am attending now since the school I teach at falls into its community. Thank you Thom Rainer for becoming a vital mentor in my life through your writings.

  3. Rodney Wimberly says

    The following is the comment I posted on my Pastor’s blog concerning your book:

    “If anyone truly cares for their local church and it’s purpose on this earth, they will get a copy of Mr. Rainer’s book in their hand ASAP. Easy to read and understand, Rainer does not overly belabor his points, he makes them, accurately, succinctly, and concisely. It took less than 3 hours to read the book itself, however the self examination Mr. Rainer provokes will take some time and the most difficult of all, as usual, will be self honesty.

    ‘By Mr. Rainer’s estimate, only 10% of the churches in America can be classified as healthy with the other 90% either sick! extremely sick! or dying! He pulls no punches and what he has discovered in his research into why churches die is quite sobering.

    ‘I challenge anyone, anywhere, if you are reading my words, if you love Jesus and His church, and you love your local church, get your hands on a copy.”

  4. says

    I would like to know that the autopsy has found inside of a dead church! Interesting! WOW!There are many church’s that are dead and yet they think that they are alive! The Holy Spirit has let the church and it is so sad that they do not know it.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *