I-Will-Be-a-Unifying-Christian

I will be a unifying Christian.

There are times when I must take a stand for God and His Word,
But I can do so in such a way that is charitable and non-combative.
My tone can be helpful,
And my demeanor can be Christ-like.

I will be a unifying Christian.

I will seek to build up before I tear down,
To encourage before criticizing.
I will learn that my words can be a source of great harm,
Or they can be a source of encouragement and joy.

I will be a unifying Christian.

That means that my needs and preferences will be last.
And I will seek to serve others with joy.
In all that I do, I will strive to be selfless in my church and in my life.
My priority will be to build up the body of Christ.

I will be a unifying Christian.

I will pray each day that I show Christ’s love more fully,
To be compassionate and caring for those in need.
In Christ’s strength, I will be a voice of hope
To so many who believe this world is cruel and hopeless.

I will be a unifying Christian.

I know many are watching me.
They know I am believer in Christ, a Christian.
My words and actions are my witness.
The world will know we are Christians by our love.

I will be a unifying Christian.

Such is my hope. My goal. My prayer.

I give you a new command: Love one another. Just as I have loved you, you must also love one another. By this all people will know that you are My disciples, if you have love for one another.” John 13:34-35 (HCSB)

Comments

1. Sherry Goth says

Thank you. Your words never fail to encourage me as a Christian and member of my community of faith.

2. Terry Ryan says

Dr. Rainer,
    For the last two weeks I have preached similar sermons. Last week I asked; “Does the world know us by what we are against or by what we are for?” It is a great challenge. Thanks for your words. May I use this on Sunday…Sermon Title: “We have all been Caught”, John 8. You will get full credit and thanks again.

In Christ
    Terry

3. James C. says

After being a faithful follower of our Lord and giving all honor to God, these words express my greatest desires. Even though I fail to do this at times and am challenged by those both inside and outside the body of believers my heart is driven toward unity. Thank you.

4. Bill Mountsier says

I agree so very much. I am a Christian who happens to go to (and pastors) a baptist Church. Any time we trumpet our denomination, we are often implicitly putting down others. We need to use more Kingdom of God and Church and Christian language than denominational language.

Powerful!

May I have permission to share this with not only within our congregation but, the pastors group and the elected officials in our community?

Blessings to you…

6. Mark Dance says

Your blog became my personal prayer today.

“Above all, put on love — the perfect bond of unity.”
    Colossians 3:14

Thank you for the dose of humility. How quickly we forget the prayers answered when they prayed in one accord and acted for the sake of the Kingdom. May our thoughts, prayers, and actions reflect the mind of Christand self be put aside.

Thom, in September our church is doing a series based on “I am a Church Member.” Our sermons and Sunday School classes will revolve around it. Is there a website where we can get creative worship service ideas related to the book? Thanks!

Not that I know of. But I do know many churches used the book in that manner. Send me a tweet with that question, and I will retweet it with the hope that some people will respond to you.

Dr Rainer

Thank you for your powerful words. Our church is facing a lot of challenges with preferences winning out over passion and unity that is focussed on Christ. It has been heavy on my heart and I would like to share this with our congregation giving you credit. Thanks again for the powerful words.