Podcast Episode #074
We tackle a post by Dr. Chuck Lawless on church facility issues. In doing so, we cover everything from upright pianos to dirty diapers.
Some highlights from the episode:
- Paper signage can communicate you don’t care about the professionalism of your church.
- You wouldn’t put children’s furniture in adult classes, so why would you put adult furniture in children’s classes?
- If parents don’t feel their kids are safe at a church, they likely will not return.
- Facility issues communicate our level of concern about the quality of God’s house.
- Don’t assume facility issues have no bearing on the perception of your church.
- Consider hiring a mystery guest to evaluate your church from an outside perspective.
The 15 church facility issues we cover are:
- No obvious main entrance.
- An unmarked (or unattended) welcome center.
- Paper signage.
- Old information on screens or bulletin boards.
- Unsecured children’s area.
- Windowless doors in the children’s area.
- “Big people” furniture in children’s rooms.
- Open outlets in preschool rooms.
- Dirty carpet.
- Unstocked bathrooms.
- Poor lighting.
- Few garbage cans.
- Faded paint.
This week’s podcast is brought to you by RevitalizedChurches.com. Bringing together videos, books, and other resources from today’s top pastors, leaders, and authors, RevitalizedChurches.com is the premier online destination for Church Revitalization. Visit RevitalizedChurches.com today for your free download of 114 Things You Need to Know About Church Revitalization by Thom Rainer.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Autopsy of a Deceased Church.