Podcast Episode #242
Discussions on pastors and funerals as well as what to watch for, what to have prepared, and what to avoid.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Know the community traditions related to funerals.
- Don’t just read a script when officiating a funeral. Personalize it if at all possible.
- Have a personal policy of what funerals you will do and whether you will do out of town funerals.
- Know who else will be speaking at a funeral you’re officiating.
- Be prepared to intervene if things go off the rails at a funeral.
- If possible, try to be the last speaker at a funeral to have the ability to share the hope of the resurrection.
The eight key issues regarding funerals that we cover are:
- Decide your parameters for doing funerals.
- Know the traditions of the community.
- Meet with the family to personalize the message.
- Brevity is best.
- The issue of the financial charge.
- Expectations of the family.
- Expect something different.
- Share the gospel in your message.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.
Midwestern Seminary, located in the heart of the Midwest, is one of the fastest growing seminaries in North America and offers a fantastic array of academic programs, including multiple online and residential options at the undergraduate, graduate, and doctoral levels. Midwestern’s new 81-hour Mdiv program, online program, and doctoral program have all been recognized as some of the most innovative and affordable in the country. There has never been a better time to begin your seminary education. Midwestern Seminary trains leaders ‘For The Church.’
Visit them online at MBTS.edu/Rainer and start your ministry training today.