Podcast Episode #291
Today’s episode may be a dream for many church leaders. But often, more money for churches can lead to more problems for churches if not handled well.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Today’s podcast episode may be about the dream scenario for many pastors and churches.
- Faster growing churches tend to have lower per capita giving.
- Giving patterns of families often follow life stages, so determine if increased giving is ongoing or temporary.
- I prefer the lag approach to church staffing rather than the lead approach.
- High cash reserves can discourage giving and show a lack of faith.
- Low cash reserves can indicate a church is not prudent or not planning for the future.
- In many churches, we erroneously treat the previous year as the base for what will happen the next year.
The nine responses to increased giving that we cover today are:
- The surprising place where many churches get in trouble
- Find out why
- Ask for an age breakdown
- Determine if ongoing or temporary
- Be careful before adding personnel
- Check reserves
- Be exceedingly careful with one-time gifts
- Make certain next year’s budget is accurate but conservative
- Postscript: Faith or prudence?
Are you getting prepared for the changing ministry landscape? Get your Master of Divinity degree at Midwestern Seminary. The M.Div—Midwestern’s flagship degree program—is their primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a new culture of discipleship devoted to the local church and committed to taking God’s unchanging Word into a rapidly changing world. Join the movement today.
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.