Podcast Episode #309
Regardless of the size of the church, the pastor typically has to manage a staff. They may be volunteers; they may be paid. So today, we cover ten traits pastors should develop as they manage their staff.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Pastors need to have a compelling vision for their church.
- Good bosses will always be looking to build up those who work under them.
- If you want a certain behavior to be evident in your staff, you should be the one modeling it as the boss.
- More leaders than not have trouble making difficult decisions.
- Be confident in your decisions.
- Everyone who works for you should feel like they are part of the team.
- Church staffs should be seen as a team both internally and externally.
- Pastors should communicate frequently and clearly to the staff.
The ten traits of great pastor bosses we discuss are:
- Cast a clear vision and path.
- Support other ministries.
- Create a fun atmosphere.
- Provide a good role model and example.
- Be decisive.
- Include other staff as part of the team.
- Have the back of your staff.
- Listen well.
- Support the staff member’s family.
- Communicate frequently and clearly.
Are you getting prepared for the changing ministry landscape? Get your Master of Divinity degree at Midwestern Seminary. The M.Div—Midwestern’s flagship degree program—is their primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a new culture of discipleship devoted to the local church and committed to taking God’s unchanging Word into a rapidly changing world. Join the movement today.
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.