Thom S. Rainer is the president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Prior to LifeWay, he served at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary for twelve years where he was the founding dean of the Billy Graham School of Missions and Evangelism. He is a 1977 graduate of the University of Alabama and earned his Master of Divinity and Ph.D. degrees from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
In addition to speaking in hundreds of venues over the past 20 years, Rainer led Rainer Group, a church and denominational consulting firm, from 1990 to 2005. The firm provided church health insights to over 500 churches and other organizations over that period.
Rainer and his wife, Nellie Jo, have three grown sons: Sam, Art and Jess, who are married to Erin, Sarah and Rachel respectively. The Rainers have nine grandchildren: Canon, Maggie, Nathaniel, Will (with the Lord), Harper, Bren, Joshua, Collins, and Joel.
He is the author of more than two dozen books, including Breakout Churches, Autopsy of a Deceased Church, Simple Life, Simple Church, Raising Dad, The Millennials, and Essential Church. His recent book, I Am a Church Member, was #1 on the CBA best-seller list for several months and I Will was just released in June 2015 by B&H Publishing Group.
Chuck Lawless currently serves as Professor of Evangelism and Missions and Dean of Graduate Studies at Southeastern Seminary, in addition to serving as Global Theological Education Consultant for the International Mission Board. He previously served as a Vice-President for Global Theological Advance for the IMB. Prior to that, he was dean of the Billy Graham School of Missions and Evangelism at Southern Seminary in Louisville, KY, where he also served as Vice President for Academic Programming and the Director of Professional Doctoral Studies.
Dr. Lawless served as pastor of two Ohio churches prior to joining the Southern Seminary faculty in 1996. He received a B.S. degree from Cumberland College (now the University of the Cumberlands) and M.Div. and Ph.D. degrees from Southern Seminary. He and his wife Pam reside in Wake Forest, NC.
He is the author of eight works, including Membership Matters, Spiritual Warfare, Discipled Warriors, Putting on the Armor, Serving in Your Church Prayer Ministry, and Mentor. He has contributed articles to denominational periodicals, written Sunday School curriculum for LifeWay, and led conferences on spiritual warfare, healthy church growth, leadership, evangelism and discipleship, and prayer.
ThomRainer.com Support Team:
- Jonathan Howe
- Amy Jordan
- Amy Thompson
Top Posts at ThomRainer.com
If you are new to ThomRainer.com, the posts here typically relate to leadership and the local church. This list of top posts is a good starting point to discover the issues addressed on the site.
- Top Ten Ways Churches Drive Away First-time Guests
- One Sentence That Pastors and Church Staff Hate to Hear
- Seven Things Pastors Would Like Church Members to Know about Their Children
- Fourteen Things You Shouldn’t Say to Your Pastor
- Seven Things Church Members Should Say to Guests in a Worship Service
- Autopsy of a Deceased Church: 11 Things I Learned
- Seven Ways to Hurt Your Pastor
- What Worship Style Attracts the Millennials?
- The Most Common Factor in Declining Churches
- Six Observations about Speaking to Pastors Right Before They Preach
- Should Your Church Stop Having a Stand and Greet Time?
- The Main Reason People Leave a Church
- Five Things You Should Know about Pastors’ Salaries
- Nine Rapid Changes in Church Worship Services
- Nine Traits of Mean Churches
- Eleven of the Most Common Mistakes Churches Make
- Nine Traits of Church Bullies
- Ten Things You Should Never Say to a Guest in a Worship Service
If you would like to have Dr. Rainer speak at your event, please fill out this Speaking Request Form
If you are interested in writing for LifeWay, you can find that information at LifeWay.com.