Podcast Episode #082
This week we are joined on the podcast with one of the premier hymn writers of our day: Keith Getty. The Gettys are kicking off their Joy: An Irish Christmas tour this weekend, and Keith was gracious enough to join us for a quick taping of the podcast earlier this week.
As a special bonus to our listeners, The Gettys have provided a free download of the MP3s and sheet music for Joy Has Dawned and Jesus, Joy of the Highest Heaven. Click here to download.
Some highlights from this week’s episode include:
- There are more people in our churches at Christmas who are yet to believe.
- Christmas carols are the true crossover music of our time.
- You can speak into the future by understanding the art forms of the past.
- People not caring about singing in worship is a scandal.
- Stop boring people by trying to have your music sound like the church down the street.
- The highest call for musicians in churches is to accompany the congregation in singing.
The five things we discuss that churches can do to not waste Christmas:
- Sing the gospel.
- Build your Christmas around carols.
- Get serious our congregational singing.
- Artist should be creative and innovative with their Christmas music.
- Use Christmas to focus on those who don’t come to church instead of those who do.
This week’s podcast is brought to you by The Gettys and the Joy: An Irish Christmas tour. For ticket information and tour dates, visit http://www.gettymusic.com/tourChristmas.aspx.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Autopsy of a Deceased Church.