Podcast Episode #293
Last week we discussed how to respond when church giving increases. Today, we look at the other side of the coin—decreased giving. Unfortunately, of these too scenarios, this one is far more common.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- You have to know why church giving has decreased before you can respond strategically.
- Pastors, be transparent with the staff when facing financial decline in the church.
- Don’t try to hide bad news when you’re pastoring a church.
- There should be ongoing staff discussions throughout the year about budget spending.
- When budgets get tight, you find out what’s essential and what’s not.
- If you don’t make budget adjustments throughout the year, you’re likely to have a budget battle at the end of the year.
- The #1 budget question to ask: what is best for the church moving forward?
- Church budgets should be vision-driven.
- The vision of the church should drive the budget of the church.
The seven responses to decreased giving that we cover today are:
- Find out why
- Determine if it is ongoing or temporary
- Be transparent
- Find out where unspent budget possibilities lie
- Determine: essential, important, optional
- Make adjustments before year end
- Create an accurate next-year budget
Are you getting prepared for the changing ministry landscape? Get your Master of Divinity degree at Midwestern Seminary. The M.Div—Midwestern’s flagship degree program—is their primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a new culture of discipleship devoted to the local church and committed to taking God’s unchanging Word into a rapidly changing world. Join the movement today.
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped hundreds of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
Find out more about Vanderbloemen Search Group by visiting WeStaffTheChurch.com.
Resources Mentioned in Today’s Podcast
- BELAY Solutions (affiliate link)