SUBSCRIBE TODAY: iTunes • RSS • Stitcher • TuneIn Radio • Google Play
Sacred cows exist in every church, but in dying ones and those in need of replanting, they problem is exacerbated. Today we tackle how to deal with sacred cows in a replant.
Today’s Listener Question:
The church I’m replanting has sacred cows everywhere. I know these are landmines in every church. Is there anything specific to replants in dealing with sacred cows?
- It’s always better to identify sacred cow landmines in the church before your step on them.
- You need to genuinely try to understand why certain sacred cows exist in your church.
- Sacred cows are born when members trade their love and affection for Jesus in exchange for love and affection for pews or a parlor.
- We don’t ever want people to put their hope and trust in things that are temporal.
- Moving someone’s focus from the temporal to the eternal takes time and patience.
The five ways to deal with sacred cows in a replant are:
- Identify the sacred cows
- Make Jesus the sole object of your worship
- Help members understand that there is no joy to be found in protecting temporary and temporal things
- Understand the spiritual warfare involved with sacred cows
- Help members see that the more they will want what Jesus wants, the less they will want what they desire
Resources mentioned in this episode include:
- Replanter Assessment
- Find more resources at the Revitalize & Replant page at ThomRainer.com
Submit Your Question:
Do you have a question about church revitalization or replanting for us to use on the podcast? Visit the podcast page to submit your question. If we use it on the show, you’ll get a copy of Autopsy of a Deceased Church and Reclaiming Glory.