Podcast Episode #412
Pastors often face financial pressure because salaries depend on giving of the church. If giving drops, salaries can be in jeopardy. Today we look at what to do when that happens.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- High-paid pastors are the outliers. Most are underpaid.
- In most instances, salaries should not exceed 50% of the church budget.
- Pastors, get an advocate to go to bat for you about salary matters.
- Churches, never talk about compensation packages, just talk about salary.
The six points to consider are:
- Make certain you have your facts right
- Look at the entire budget of the church
- Make certain key leaders understand the difference between package and pay
- Consider the possibility of marketplace service or side gigs
- Find an advocate in the church
- Don’t leave over pay unless you have exhausted other options
Our friends at Vanderbloemen Search Group help churches and ministries build great teams by finding their key staff, but did you know they have a ton of resources around team building? Their newest addition is The Culture Tool, a free comprehensive staff engagement survey to help you build, run, and keep a great team. It’s brand new and still in beta, so check out TheCultureTool.com to be on the cutting edge of this new tool that will help you improve your church staff culture.
Visit TheCultureTool.com to learn more.
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.