Podcast Episode #413
The Worship Guru, Mike Harland, joins us again today to discuss how you can use your worship ministry to help become a more welcoming church.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- The reason we have such a shortage of worship pastors is because the role has changed so much.
- Your worship ministry can shut down the guest experience and make guests feel like outsiders by only singing original music.
- When you’re planning a worship service do so through the lens of what a newcomer will experience.
- Worship ministry can sometimes aim at everything and hit none of it.
- Excellence in worship is more important than variety.
- Choir should be more than a worship style—it should be a discipleship strategy.
The four ways you can develop a welcoming worship ministry are:
- Avoid “Insider Trading”
- Nobody likes Worship Casserole
- Tick Tock, the Game is Locked
- To Thine Own Self Be true
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Our friends at Vanderbloemen Search Group help churches and ministries build great teams by finding their key staff, but did you know they have a ton of resources around team building? Their newest addition is TheCultureTool.com , a free comprehensive staff engagement survey to help you build, run, and keep a great team. It’s brand new and still in beta, so check out TheCultureTool.com to be on the cutting edge of this new tool that will help you improve your church staff culture.
Visit TheCultureTool.com to learn more.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.