Podcast Episode #421
The ministers’ housing allowance is an oft misunderstood benefit. Today, we discuss the future of the housing allowance and if/when it might go away.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Churches have moved away from providing parsonages for pastors.
- Ultimately, I believe the ministers’ housing allowance will be ruled on by the Supreme Court.
- If you’re getting a minsters’ housing allowance right now, I encourage you to live like you’re not—because it will eventually go away.
- The housing allowance is the most amazing tax benefit ministers get.
The seven factors we cover are:
- Understanding the background of the housing allowance
- The status in the court system
- Incumbent upon the minister to be prepared
- Review of the package versus pay
- Most churches cannot or will not make up lost income
- Begin preparing now as if it goes away
- It’s ultimately about trusting God, not the tax code
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Our friends at Vanderbloemen Search Group help churches and ministries build great teams by finding their key staff, but did you know they have a ton of resources around team building? Their newest addition is TheCultureTool.com, a free comprehensive staff engagement survey to help you build, run, and keep a great team. It’s brand new and still in beta, so check out TheCultureTool.com to be on the cutting edge of this new tool that will help you improve your church staff culture.
Visit TheCultureTool.com to learn more.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.