Podcast Episode #432
Pastors often leave a church for another opportunity too soon. Today we discuss eight reasons pastors leave too soon and how to combat the urge to jump ship too early.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Leadership brings change. Change brings conflict.
- Be careful not to be called to a salary instead of being called to a church.
- Personnel teams should keep an eye on staff salaries and make sure they are paid well.
- “Ladder climbing” has fallen out of favor with Millennials.
- If you’re not able to be satisfied while living in obscurity, you won’t be satisfied if you make it famous either.
The eight examples we cover on this episode are:
- We are not presuming on the call of God
- A modest amount of conflict
- Compensation issues without seeking help
- Yielding to the isolated troublemaker
- Assuming bigger is better
- Lack of patience (sometimes 4 to 5 years to see fruit)
- A short period of decline
Our friends at Vanderbloemen Search Group help churches and ministries build great teams by finding their key staff, but did you know they have a ton of resources around team building? Their newest addition is The Culture Tool, a free comprehensive staff engagement survey to help you build, run, and keep a great team. It’s brand new and still in beta, so check out TheCultureTool.com to be on the cutting edge of this new tool that will help you improve your church staff culture.
Visit TheCultureTool.com to learn more.
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.