Podcast Episode #475
Legacy giving, or inherited funds, is something that churches often do not pursue. Today we discuss why that’s often a mistake and how to do so.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- There is a fear in churches that members will give less if they know about large amounts of endowment money sitting in the bank.
- Most pastors don’t think of fundraising for the church as part of their responsibility.
- If you don’t ask for legacy gifts for the church, some other group or institution will do so and the church will be left out.
- Legacy gifts are often based on relationships. You have to have a relationship before making the ask.
3 reasons why some church leaders don’t pursue legacy giving
- Reason #1: fear it will hurt budget giving.
- Reason #2: lack of knowledge about legacy giving
- Reason #3: discomfort with asking for legacy giving
3 reasons to pursue it:
- Reason #1: Many churches could use it.
- Reason #2: It does not have to be used for budget giving
- Reason #3: Churches should be a primary recipient of the largest transfer of wealth in history.
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped thousands of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
For more information, visit WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.