Podcast Episode #472
Leadership in the church tends to fall to those who are either the loudest or who want it the most instead of who is spiritually mature enough to handle it. Today we explore why this happens and how to avoid it.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- We see many people in leadership in the church not because they are mature Christians, but because they make the most noise.
- Don’t reward church bullies with leadership positions in the church.
- If church members are not committed to the financial stewardship the church, they probably shouldn’t be in leadership positions in the church.
- Low expectation churches are typically the ones that struggle to find leaders or volunteers for ministry.
The six reasons we discuss are:
- The noisy get rewarded.
- The bullies get rewarded.
- No one checks the giving records.
- Some try to use the church for power they don’t have outside the church.
- The church is a low expectation church.
- Leadership is not rotated.
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped thousands of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
For more information, visit WeStaffTheChurch.com.
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.