Podcast Episode #489
Sunday comes every week for a pastor. And that means a sermon needed nearly every week. Today, we discuss how to combat sermon block if and when that happens.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- The more you can plan ahead with sermon prep, the less likely you are to fight sermon block the week of the sermon.
- Both church members and staff can be sources for sermon pointers.
- Pastors, if you plagiarize your sermons, people will notice.
- Being prepared (mentally and spiritually) and starting early are two main keys to beating sermon block.
The five methods we cover to combat sermon block are:
- Preach through books of the Bible
- Take sermon preparation retreats
- Brainstorm with staff and church members
- Listen to other preachers’ podcasts (BUT DON’T PLAGIARIZE!)
- Start early in the week
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped thousands of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
For more information, visit WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.