Podcast Episode #485
Honeymoons always end. There are some things that can be done by a new pastor to extend them, but there are definitely some other things that can be done to cut them short. Today we discuss why many are being cut shorter these days.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- The expectation of a quick fix can be detrimental to a church’s health.
- A lot of churches who die have money in the bank, but they are fearful to spend it on what needs to be done to avoid dying.
- Don’t compare your pastor to another preacher you listen to on a podcast. Its not helpful to him nor for you.
- At some point, every pastor’s honeymoon ends at a church.
The seven reasons we discuss are:
- Understanding the pastor “life cycle”
- Dealing with the culture of the quick fix
- Believing the myth of the magic bullet
- Dealing with the increased level of pastors’ frustrations
- Managing financial fear and shortfalls
- Realizing the reality of the inward focus
- Understanding the comparison syndrome
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped thousands of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
For more information, visit WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.