Podcast Episode #501
Critics are real in the church. And for many pastors, they are incessant. Today, we discuss how to deal with the constant critic in your church.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- Praying for a critic not only can change a critic’s heart, but can change your heart toward the critic.
- Our goal in resolving conflict should be reconciliation and restoration, not revenge and retribution.
- Too many pastors try to satisfy the most negative people in the church and end up ignoring the rest of the church.
- If you’re a leader, you can expect criticism.
The seven steps we discuss are:
- Pray for him or her.
- Request a meeting to attempt reconciliation.
- Help him or her to re-dream the dream.
- Ignore the critic.
- Recognize it is a reality of leadership.
- Ask others to help.
- Exercise church discipline on rare occasions.
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast
The ministry landscape is changing, and the need for biblical training is more necessary than ever. It’s time to get your Master of Divinity degree. The M.Div —Midwestern Seminary’s flagship degree program — is the primary track for ministry preparation. At just 81 hours, the Midwestern M.Div offers a complete foundation for full-time ministry leaders, offering everything you need, and nothing you don’t. Join other students in vibrant Kansas City as you train in a unique collaborative environment focused on the local church or study online in your current ministry context. Midwestern Seminary is developing a discipleship culture devoted to the local church and committed to God’s unchanging Word. Why not start your training today?
Find out more at mbts.edu/mdiv.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped thousands of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
For more information, visit WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.