Podcast Episode #535
Pastors often are hurt by church members or church circumstances. Today we discuss how to deal with this hurt and why you shouldn’t just throw in the towel at the first sign of hurt.
Some highlights from today’s episode include:
- The main reason pastors get hurt in the church is from personal attacks by members.
- When you’re feeling hurt, time in the Word and in prayer can really help.
- Staff meeting exercise: everyone take a blank sheet of paper and write down all the ways they’ve seen God work in the church or in the lives of the members in the last 6-12 months.
- Outside perspective is often needed because we are too close to a situation to see a way through it.
The seven ways we discuss for dealing with hurt are:
- Give it a few days
- Spend more time in the Word
- Focus on thanksgiving
- Get physical exercise
- Talk to peers
- Get an objective perspective
Resources mentioned in today’s podcast
Rainer on Leadership is a member of the LifeWay Leadership Podcast Network
Today’s episode is sponsored by Midwestern Baptist Theological Seminary. Midwestern offers more than 25 degrees at both undergraduate and masters level that are fully attainable online. From Business to Bible, Counseling to Christian education, prepare for your future at your own pace and in your own location.
Find out more at mbts.edu/online.
Vanderbloemen Search Group is the premier pastor search firm dedicated to helping churches and ministries build great teams. They’ve helped thousands of churches just like yours find their church staff and are uniquely geared to help you discern who God is calling to lead your church.
For more information, visit WeStaffTheChurch.com.
If you have a question you would like answered on the show, fill out the form on the podcast page here at ThomRainer.com. If we use your question, you’ll receive a free copy of Becoming a Welcoming Church.