Thom S. Rainer is the president and CEO of LifeWay Christian Resources. Prior to LifeWay, he served at The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary for twelve years where he was the founding dean of the Billy Graham School of Missions and Evangelism. He is a 1977 graduate of the University of Alabama and earned his Master of Divinity and Ph.D. degrees from The Southern Baptist Theological Seminary.
In addition to speaking in hundreds of venues over the past 20 years, Rainer led Rainer Group, a church and denominational consulting firm, from 1990 to 2005. The firm provided church health insights to over 500 churches and other organizations over that period.
Rainer and his wife, Nellie Jo, have three grown sons: Sam, Art and Jess, who are married to Erin, Sarah and Rachel respectively. The Rainers have ten grandchildren: Canon, Maggie, Nathaniel, Will (with the Lord), Harper, Bren, Joshua, Collins, Joel, and James.
He is the author of more than two dozen books, including I Am a Church Member, Breakout Churches, Autopsy of a Deceased Church, Simple Life, Simple Church, Raising Dad, The Millennials, Essential Church, and Who Moved My Pulpit?
Jonathan P. Howe
Jonathan Howe serves as Director of Strategic Initiatives at LifeWay Christian Resources. He is also the host and producer of Rainer on Leadership and SBC This Week, and the managing editor of LifeWayPastors.com. Jonathan writes weekly at ThomRainer.com on topics ranging from social media to websites and church communications.
A graduate of the University of Southern Mississippi (B.S. and M.S.) and Criswell College (M.A.), he and his wife, Beth, live in the Nashville area and have four kids. Connect with Jonathan on Twitter at @Jonathan_Howe or at his website HoweOriginal.com.
ThomRainer.com Support Team:
- Amy Jordan
- Amy Thompson
Top Posts at ThomRainer.com
If you are new to ThomRainer.com, the posts here typically relate to leadership and the local church. This list of top posts is a good starting point to discover the issues addressed on the site.
- Top Ten Ways Churches Drive Away First-time Guests
- One Sentence That Pastors and Church Staff Hate to Hear
- Seven Things Pastors Would Like Church Members to Know about Their Children
- Fourteen Things You Shouldn’t Say to Your Pastor
- Seven Things Church Members Should Say to Guests in a Worship Service
- Autopsy of a Deceased Church: 11 Things I Learned
- Seven Ways to Hurt Your Pastor
- What Worship Style Attracts the Millennials?
- The Most Common Factor in Declining Churches
- Six Observations about Speaking to Pastors Right Before They Preach
- Should Your Church Stop Having a Stand and Greet Time?
- The Main Reason People Leave a Church
- Five Things You Should Know about Pastors’ Salaries
- Nine Rapid Changes in Church Worship Services
- Nine Traits of Mean Churches
- Eleven of the Most Common Mistakes Churches Make
- Nine Traits of Church Bullies
- Ten Things You Should Never Say to a Guest in a Worship Service
If you would like to have Thom Rainer or Jonathan Howe speak at your event, please fill out this Speaking Request Form
If you are interested in writing for LifeWay, you can find that information at LifeWay.com.